This salad is a veritable BBQ in a bowl. Fresh veggies, corn off the cob, coleslaw, tempeh slathered in tangy barbecue sauce, chopped herbs, and a creamy barbecue dressing. Mmmm.
The dressing is made of just 3 simple ingredients: barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, and tahini (you could sub almond butter for an equally creamy dressing if you don't have tahini).
Just mix it up in a jar, and bam. Homemade dressing in a flash. I actually made two of these salads to take for lunches at work during the week.
Backyard BBQ Salad
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 package of tempeh
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 6 cups spinach or your favorite salad greens
- 1 cup green beans, cooked
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 corn on the cob, sliced off the cob
- 2/3 cup vegan coleslaw
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, julienned (optional)
- minced red onion, to taste
- minced chili pepper, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- Slice the tempeh into 12 strips. Heat the oil in a sautee pan over medium heat. Add the tempeh and sautee for 3-5 minutes. When toasty, reduce the heat, and add in the BBQ sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Arrange the rest of the salad ingredients in two bowls. Add the tempeh on top.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together. Use enough water to reach your desired consistency.
- Drizzle each bowl with the dressing and enjoy a barbecue in a bowl.