Thursday, September 25, 2014

Carrot Ribbon Mexican Bowl

I'm not gonna lie, friends. This recipe was supposed to be a clean-out-my-fridge, not-very-noteworthy meal. So, I packed it, took some photos just in case it actually turned out super tasty, and then savored every morsel the next day at lunch. So, here we are!


The bottom of this bowl is stuffed with ribbons of carrot that I created by using your typical hand-held vegetable peeler. Just perform the same action, only keep going until the entire carrot (or the majority of it- no finger endangerment, folks!) is turned into luxurious orange ribbons. I wish I captured a picture of these carrot ribbons, but by the time I photographed, they were already covered with other veggies.


Carrot ribbons are easier to chew than typical chunks of carrot, and because of this, their sweet, fresh flavor really shines through. They would be a fun, twirlable addition to a bowl of spaghetti or udon noodles, as well.

Here is the bowl, awaiting its pop of purple onions...


I also added a dollop of cashew cheez that I made, which consists of soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, sriracha sauce, and a dab of mustard for that cheesy acidity. 


That corny mixture is a Trader Joe's salsa that is called Cowboy Caviar. It is chock full of black beans, red pepper, and corn. I hope you try this out!


Carrot Ribbon Mexican Bowl
Serves 1

Ingredients

  • 2 carrots
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup Trader Joe's Cowboy Caviar, or your favorite salsa
  • 1/2 cup black beans
  • a scoop of cashew cheez (see recipe below)
  • a sprinkle of red onions
  • salt & pepper
Directions
  1. Use a regular peeler to turn the carrot into ribbons. Just keep peelin'!
  2. Add all ingredients to a bowl. Mix and devour.

Cashew Cheez
Serves 4-5

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for a few hours in water
  • 1-2 tsp sriracha
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • salt, to taste

Directions
  1. Drain cashews. Add all ingredients to blender, plus 3 tbsp water. 
  2. Blend up!



2 comments:

  1. Hi! I nominate you for the Liebster Award during Vegan MoFo! :)

    You can find out more about it at my latest blog post:
    http://www.danielle-atkins.com/2014/09/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle, thank you so much for the nomination! I am so flattered and eager to answer the questions.

      Delete